Sometime in the 4 AM hour, I turned 24. You can see how happy cake made me at the age of 3, so I am sure you can only imagine how happy I am for birthday treats today! My friend Kristen started the celebration last night by bringing me a mini Oakmonter. Trust me, it’s the best cake in Pittsburgh.
In honor of turning 24, I give you a list of 24 things I’ve learned about myself (and life) so far in this life of mine. I like to think I’m getting older and wiser…you be the judge. 😉
1. Embrace your inner introvert. It’s who you are and damn if it doesn’t feel good to just be who you are.
2. Eat pizza and cake. Just do it. Life is too short to count every calorie.
3. Make decisions based on that one feeling you have. Not everyone will agree with you, not everyone will understand, but you will be so happy.
4. The people who are your best friends now might not always be your best friends. Quality over quantity.
5. Heartbreak doesn’t go away easily. It just doesn’t.
6. Your parents are more than just your parents. They’re real people with real feelings, too. Shocking, right?
7. Work out because you want to, not because you feel like you have to.
8. You will always take things to heart. People’s opinions matter to you. Don’t let those opinions drag you down. For every negative opinion, there is one positive one.
9. Get comfortable going places by yourself. You are your own best company at times.
10. Take pictures of everything. These are the days that make up your life. Remember them!
11. Your mom is probably right.
12. You will always love reading, writing, baking, HGTV and design magazines, and staying home. Except now that you’re a grown up, it’s acceptable to tell people these are your hobbies. 😉
13. Do things that scare you. Become a fitness instructor. Run a marathon. Ride your bike all over the land. Life is an adventure.
14. Follow the wanderlust that’s in your heart. There is no better time than now.
15. You can never tell the people you love that you love them too much or too often.
16. Ask questions. Embrace confusion. The real world is a whole lot of everyone trying to figure out what the hell they’re doing.
17. Admit when you are wrong. You will be, and it will only feel better when you own up to it.
18. Say yes to as many opportunities as possible. There is more to do than you could have ever planned yourself.
19. You do not “have” to do anything. If you are ever making a decision because you feel like you have to do/say/wear/think the “right” thing, don’t make that decision.
20. Say hello to the stranger behind you in line or riding the elevator with you. It’s nice to put a smile on someone else’s face.
21. Write thank you cards. It’s just polite, but it is also so appreciated.
22. Take a break from social media. There is so much life outside of that screen and honestly, you won’t miss those apps.
23. Make an effort to stay in touch with friends and family, even if they live right down the street from you. These are the people you are walking through life with…talk to them, spend time with them, love them, and thank them.
24. Let go and let God. My best seasons of life have come when God was at the center of it all.
Last year I celebrated my birthday by doing a Christmas Tree run with this girl and the rest of our church friends…this year, I will probably be doing something similar. Nothing is better than a long run. 🙂